What insurance is available for Friends Groups?
What Grants are available for Friends Groups?
How do I know I am buying wood from a certified dealer?
How do I get my Friends Group event listed on the Event Calendar?

I don't see my question. Please click here.

Insurance for Park Events
One of the realities of planning events in parks is that there are always legal particulars. If your group is working with a state park, forest, trail, or recreational area to do clean-ups or small picnics, it may not be necessary for your group to hold an insurance policy. However, if your group is planning to put on large events on a regular basis, it would be to your advantage to have a policy taken out in your group’s name.
Be sure to find out what the rules are when vendors are present at events. When items are being sold, especially food, the rules about insurance vary. The insurance salesperson you deal with should solicit these details from you when you enroll.
Types of Coverage
One-Day Special Event Policy

  • A basic liability plan that usually covers up to one million dollars in damages
  • Only covers your group for one day. 
  • Cost varies based on the specific park, the number of people estimated to attend, and the type of event it will be. 
One-Year Liability Plan
  • Cost varies based on the size and number of events your group is planning to produce.
  • Covers your group for a full year’s schedule of events.
  • Cost varies based on the specific park, the number of planned events, and so forth.
Additional Insurance FAQs
Sources: Insurance companies that write non profit insurance coverage and special events coverage

Additional Funding Sources
Additional funding sources


How do I know I am buying wood from a certified dealer?
Under a voluntary program, a firewood dealer can be certified so their wood, grown and cut in Wisconsin, can be used in State Parks and state-managed lands throughout Wisconsin. (Click for additional Information

How do I list my Friends Group activity on the Event Calendar?
Please submit the info to Paul Holtan - DNR office of communications. This is the person that park/trail managers submit info to as well. Paul.Holtan@wisconsin.gov