A friends group is a group of people who have an interest in Wisconsin’s natural resources and who volunteer their time, services and support in order to enhance Wisconsin's state parks and forests.
What do friends groups do?Every year friends groups provide thousands of volunteer hours to help support the mission and activities of more than 70 Wisconsin state parks, forests, trails, and recreation areas. Friends members:
- serve as campground hosts, visitor center hosts, naturalists and nature center hosts, adopt a trail volunteers, and assist with other special projects at the property;
- raise money to purchase playground equipment, interpretive displays, signs, shelters, kiosks, educational materials, and more;
- organize annual park cleanups and regular trail work days;
- plan and help with special events including Candlelight nights, Community campfires, festivals/concerts, educational programs and other special events;
- provide and assist with concessions; and
- assist with the construction of trails, shelters and accessible cabins, birdhouses, and more.