Friends of Havenwoods State Forest

SAM_3549The Friends of Havenwoods was incorporated in 1975 with six like-minded individuals passionately concerned about the future of the area. The Friends group today consists of 99 members with approximately 34 members actively contributing 1,000 hours of volunteer service each year. Friends members provide stewardship crews for controlling invasives and supplies volunteers for nature festivals. They sponsor nature programs and promote all the activities at the nature center. Their activities have contributed funds to the center for equipment, a quarterly newsletter and the FOH website.children's area 4
Havenwoods State Forest is a 237-acre urban park located on the north side of the city of Milwaukee. Several families farmed this land in the 1800's. In the early twentieth century Milwaukee County acquired the land for a House of Correction from 1917 to 1945. In 1945 the U.S. Army acquired the site for use as a disciplinary barracks. The 1950s saw the establishment of a Nike Missile site. In 1970 the city of Milwaukee acquired the land for park and recreational purposes. In 1980 the land was transferred to the DNR, and it officially became a state forest. The Havenwoods Environmental Awareness Center was completed in 1986.
building-winter-BethThe Forest includes open grasslands, woods, a seasonal wetland, a meandering creek and 6.5 miles of walking trails. The property includes UW Extension rental gardens, Master Gardener volunteer education gardens and a Buds & Sprouts children's garden providing seasonal growing experiences. Havenwoods has outdoor equipment and learning materials to lend to visitors for use on the site: snowshoes, GPS units, backpacks with park activities, pond exploring supplies, binoculars, and more.
The Friends of Havenwoods Facebook page is: https://www.facebook.com/HavenwoodsStateForest