Ride, ride and ride some more. That's what the Equestrian Friends of Governor Knowles State Forest love to do. The Forest’s more than 40 miles of soft trails are the perfect place to do it as they weave through fragrant pine forests, cross bubbling creeks and scale scenic river overlooks.
Located along the St. Croix River in northwestern Wisconsin, the Forest is truly a unique resource. Our members are passionate about enhancing this magnificent resource and preserving it for generations of riders to come.
The volunteers of the ‘Friend’s’ group have made it possible to:
- Build a fabulous picnic spot on the Black Trail overlooking the Trade River
- Realign a washout and install a culvert on the Brown Trail near the day camp
- Install new 6x6 tie line posts at the Trade River campground
- Stain the Trade River campground kiosk
- Offer firewood for sale at the Trade River Campground
- Keep manure wheelbarrows at the Trade River Campground – Thanks Willow River Riders
- Staff the Camp Host positions nearly every summer weekend
- Maintain the Friends website – www.governorknowles.org
- Sponsor “Saddle Up for the Forest” Trail Obstacle challenge in September and raise nearly $1000!
In 2015 the Equestrian Friends of Governor Knowles State Forest goals are:
- Boost wifi at the Trade River Campground
- Develop trailside and campground educational exhibits
- Put up a sign directing people to the campground at Evergreen and 250th Street
- Help introduce even more young riders to the forest
- Host the popular “Saddle Up for the Forest” Trail Obstacle challenge on September 5, 2015
Sources: Web site: http://governorknowles.org/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/EquestrianFreindsOfGovernorKnowlesStateForest
Wisconsin DNR: http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/StateForests/GovKnowles/