Celebrate Earth Day while helping out and enjoying Wisconsin state park, forest, trail and wildlife properties during the sixth annual Work*Play*Earth Day. Volunteer events are sponsored by the Friends of Wisconsin State Parks and Department of Natural Resources properties. The events will be held April 11, 18, 25, and May 2, 2015. (Click on image for PDF poster)
Volunteers can join DNR staff, local friends group members, and people from nearby communities to help repair and enhance park, forest and trail properties. Activities include planting trees and shrubs, installing benches, removing invasive plants, painting picnic tables and other structures, raking and cleaning up leaves and picking up litter. Refreshments will be provided and Friends of Wisconsin State Parks will also provide appreciation gifts for volunteers.
"When the work is done, volunteers join staff in hiking or biking park trails, visiting nature centers or interpretive displays, or enjoying any of the recreational opportunities available at the different properties," said Patty Loosen, friends coordinator for the state parks program.
Loosen says during the 2014 Work Play Earth Day, more than 850 volunteers donated more than 3.000 hours cleaning up and maintaining parks and trails, planting more than 500 trees, doing invasive species work and building bird houses, planting native plants and repairing picnic tables.
Volunteers should check with the park, forest, trail or recreation area where they would like to participate for event start times and details. Volunteers should wear work boots or athletic shoes, long pants and bring their own work gloves. Come and be part of the 2014 Work*Play*Earth Day events at these Wisconsin state properties!
To find out more about the parks listed below, search the DNR website dnr.wi.gov for "find a park."
Saturday – April 11, 2015
- Perrot State Park – Trempealeau 608-534-6409
- Amnicon Falls State Park – Superior 715-399-3111
- Big Foot Beach State Park – Lake Geneva 262-248-2528
- Devil’s Lake State Park – Baraboo 608-356-8301
- Hank Aaron State Trail – Milwaukee 414-263-8559
- Harrington Beach State Park – Belgium 262-285-3015
- Kettle Moraine State Forest – Campbellsport 262-626-2116
- Lakeshore State Park – Milwaukee 414-274-4280
- Newport State Park – Ellison Bay 920-854-2500
- Buckhorn State Park – Necedah 608-565-2789
- Gov. Nelson State Park – Waunakee 608-831-3005
- High Cliff State Park – Sherwood 920-989-1106
- Kettle Moraine State Forest – Eagle 262-594-6200
- Kohler-Andrae State Park – Sheboygan 920-451-4080
- Lapham Peak State Forest – Delafield 262-646-3025
- Mirror Lake State Park – Baraboo 608-254-2333
- Pike Lake State Forest – Hartford 262-670-3400
- Whitefish Dunes State Park –Sturgeon Bay 920-823-2400
- Cadiz Springs SRA – Browntown 608-527-2335
- Hartman Creek State Park – Waupaca 715-258-2372
- Havenwoods State Forest – Milwaukee 414-527-0232
- Merrick State Park – Fountain City 608-687-4936
- Richard Bong SRA – Kansasville 262-878-5600
- Roche-A-Cri State Park – Friendship 608-339-6881
- Stower 7 Lakes State Trail – Amery 715-485-9294