The 2013 GOLD SEAL Award contest is sponsored by the Friends of Wisconsin State Parks. The contest is open to all campers, bikers, hunters, hikers, anglers, and park visitors of Wisconsin.
This year, a record number of votes were made by the public. Over 200 individual votes were completed online at The Friends of Wisconsin State Parks Web site: fwsp.org .
The 2013 Gold Seal Award winners are:
- Best RV Camping: Gov. Dodge State Park
- Best View from a Tower: Peninsula State Park
- Best Place for Dog Walking: Whitefish Dunes State Park
- Best Place to Explore Nature: Richard Bong State Recreation Area
- Best Historical Restoration project – Heritage Hill State Park – Fort Howard Guard House
- Best Informational Kiosk – Stower Seven Lakes State Trail
- Best Friends Group website – Newport Wilderness Society
- Most challenging Hiking Trail – Kettle Moraine State Forest – Pike Lake unit
- Best Place to hold a Family Reunion – Wyalusing State Park
- Best Place to hear an Owl – Gov. Thompson State Park
The Friends of Wisconsin State Parks was created to preserve, protect, promote and enhance Wisconsin’s state parks, forests, trails and recreation areas. Friends of Wisconsin State Parks is a non-profit umbrella organization supporting over 80 friends groups around the state. FWSP provides technical support, sponsors events such as Work*Play*Earth Day and the annual Volunteer Jamboree.