|Click map to enlarge. (Courtesy of WI DNR)|
Friends of Wisconsin State Parks is a non-profit umbrella organization supporting over 70 friends groups around the state. FWSP provides technical support, sponsors events such as Work*Play*Earth Day, an annual Volunteer Jamboree, photography contest, and Gold Seal and HERO awards. It also provides grant opportunities for the state parks.
- Every year friends groups provide thousands of volunteer hours to help support the mission and activities of more than 70 Wisconsin state parks, forests, trails, and recreation areas. Friends members: serve as campground hosts, visitor center hosts, naturalists and nature center hosts, adopt a trail volunteers, and assist with other special projects at the property;
- raise money to purchase playground equipment, interpretive displays, signs, shelters, kiosks, educational materials, and more;
- organize annual park cleanups and regular trail work days;
- plan and help with special events including Candlelight nights, Community campfires, festivals/concerts, educational programs and other special events;
- provide and assist with concessions; and assist with the construction of trails, shelters and accessible cabins, birdhouses, and more.